Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thinking Of A Photo Project?

So many people are starting a project for the new year.  Many others have set a New Year's resolution...not me, however.  I'm not a big fan of the whole resolution thing.  Maybe it's just the word "resolution", but I never seem to keep up.  Lately, I prefer the word "project".  (...in case you were wondering MY thoughts...)

In 2010, I took part in Project 52.  One photo a week for a year.  For me?  The 52 Week Project was about learning new photography techniques, experimenting with post processing, and stepping out of my comfort zone as far as creativity is concerned.  I had a great time with it and my girls really got involved as well.  They were excited each week to see what I'd learned or experimented with.

This year, for 2011, I'm taking it up a notch and going for one photo each day.  A 365 Project.  I'm calling it Joy Three Six Five because I want to be sure to find joy in EVERYTHING.  So, I'm not necessarily trying a new technique, rather just seeking out joy in my daily life.  My plan is to blog about each photo and include at least one sentence about the photo.  You can see my Joy Three Six Five blog here:  The Joy Blog  and feel free to follow along in the fun.

If you are considering a photo project this year, and I hope you go for it (!!), you won't regret it, I promise.  And to help you out a bit, I wanted to pass along some tips and ideas that I've found particularly helpful.

1.  Keep your camera in a place where you can easily access it.  Mine is on the "tall counter" (what my kids call the bar between the kitchen and the living room) so that I can grab it and snap when I see a photo moment. 

2.  Set aside a time at night where you can upload your photo and write at least one sentence.  My time for this is just after the kids are in bed.  Basically, I stop Facebooking for a few minutes and upload an image to my blog....if you wanna know the whole truth and nothing but....

3. You can document your photos online via blogging.  If you don't have a blog, you can sign up for free at Blogger or Wordpress.  (I use Blogger just because after so many years of blogging I'm quick with it and can navigate easily.)  Blogging, to me, is a great way to tell your story because friends and family can keep up easily.  You can also publish your blog once your project is complete.  Did you know you can turn your blog into a book?  There's Blurb and Blog 2 Print just to name a couple. 

4.  You could also upload your photos to Flickr and keep track of them there.  Flickr is an online photo sharing spot with millions of members.  You can, however, keep your images private in case you don't want any members snooping around on your project.  Flickr also has loads of groups that you could join and a heap of inspiration!  Another online place is Shuttercal which posts your images in a calendar-type set up for you.  That way, you are sure to stay accountable.

5.  One thing I'm considering is Becky Higgins' Project Life kit. You can take a look at that here:  Project Life There is also a digital version of Project Life.

6.  One last way to document this year's journey is by creating an album on Facebook (I'm just assuming everyone is addicted to FB just like me....) and uploading your images there.

So.  Now that you've somewhat decided that you want to start a photo project...what will you photograph?  What will you call your project?  Where will your ideas come from?  Well....here are my thoughts on that...

Things to photograph?  Well, right now, from where I'm sitting, I see books scattered across the living room floor.  Why?  Because my two year old hurled them around when she was protesting nap time.  If my blog wasn't titled Joy Three Six Five, but rather Daily Drama of a Two Year Old?  Those scattered books would be my image for the day.  You could also photograph:  your morning routine (coffee?), your new running shoes, your favorite book, your snaggle toothed child, ANYTHING!  Just take a picture of SOMETHING and write about it.  You could also take a photo of your child every Friday standing/sitting in the same spot and watch her grow during 2011. 

What will you call your project?  What about.... 52 Weeks of The ____ Family?  Happiness 365?  Fifty Two Little Things?  P365?  52 Things I'm Thankful For?

Where will your ideas come from?  Well, have a look at this... Photograph Your ABC's (google search...as simple as that!) You can also click through Flickr a bit and find some really cool things that will trigger your creativity. 

So.  That was a lot, huh?  Hopefully, however, it was a lot of helpful babble.  If you decide to take part in a photo project (do it, do it, do it!!!) please, pretty please, let me know.  I'd love to follow along with you this year.  You can post a comment on the Facebook page and link us to your site...I'd love for you to!  It would be such fun for you and your kids will love looking back on the photos that you've taken during 2011. 

You won't regret it, I pinky promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment